Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A thousand possibilities!


A few weeks ago I picked up a Gibson electric guitar at a good price, a fairly nice model with the fancy hardshell case which includes a combination lock on one of the latches. I took pictures of it to sell on Ebay and when I went to take it out of the case to type a description this weekend... uh oh. It hadn't occurred to me but the lock was set to the combo when I got it apparently and got spun after I took photos. So I put something good on TV and sat down on the couch, pulled the case into my lap and turned the dials to 000. and 001. and 002 (I'll skip a bit).
I started thinking it would have made more sense to start higher where it might have been set to a phone prefix or something. And I kept turning digits. Did I mention I had to slide a button after each combo?
I became convinced that I'd accidentally skip the ONE NUMBER that was correct and hit 999 with the latch still closed. I wondered how much prying the latch off would affect the value.
And I hit at 175 - pretty frickin' lucky actually.

No comments:

Post a Comment